My Almost Meeting With Mayor Yepsen

As the followers of this blog know, I have been seeking information for months from Mayor Yepsen about a variety of issues with little success.  I decided on another tack and wrote the Mayor asking for a meeting.  In response I received an email from the Mayor on May 3rd indicating that she would have Vince DeLeonardis, the City Attorney set up the meeting.  I subsequently received an email from Mr. DeLeonardis’ secretary informing me of the date and time of the meeting.  Conspicuously absent from the list of attendees was Mayor Yepsen.  I responded by asking whether Mayor Yepsen would be attending and was advised, “I do not believe so.”

When I arrived at the Mayor’s office her secretary appeared surprised to see me.  She asked why I was there and I replied that I was there to meet with the Mayor and her staff.  She told me that I was not on the Mayor’s calendar and that the Mayor was on her way to Kentucky to pick up her son from college.  I said I had an email from both the Mayor and from the City Attorney’s executive assistant indicating that there would be a meeting.  After some confusion, she learned that I would be meeting with City Attorneys Vince DeLeonardis, Tony Izzo, and the Mayor’s deputy, Joe Ogden.

I have to say that, in the slang of the diplomatic corps, the meeting was “frank and constructive.”  All three of the Mayor’s staff had clearly familiarized themselves with the issues.  They were very generous with their time.  The meeting was unrushed and explored all the issues extensively.  I felt I received a very serious consideration of my concerns.  While I secured few in the way of concrete commitments I am cautiously optimistic that some positive changes will result from the meeting.  As these men all work for the mayor, in spite of her absence, I think the Mayor deserves credit for arranging this meeting.  Rather than go into the details of the meeting now, I will offer the Mayor the opportunity to consider the issues covered by the meeting with her staff before commenting.

From:    Joanne Yepsen [joanne.yepsen@saratoga-springs.org]

Sent:     Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:49 PM

To:          John Kaufmann

Cc:          Tony Izzo; Vincent DeLeonardis

Subject:               Re: Meeting With Mayor

Hi John.  I’ll ask Vince to give you a call or email to set that up. Thanks.

From: “John Kaufmann” <john.kaufmann21@gmail.com>

To: “Joanne Yepsen” <joanne.yepsen@saratoga-springs.org>

Cc: “Christian Mathiesen” <Christian.Mathiesen@saratoga-springs.org>, “Michele Madigan” <michele.madigan@saratoga-springs.org>, “Skip Sciroco”<skip.scirocco@saratoga-springs.org>, “John Franck” <johnfranck11@gmail.com>,”Tony Izzo” <tony.izzo@saratoga-springs.org>, “Vincent DeLeonardis”<vincent.deleonardis@saratoga-springs.org>

Sent: Monday, May 2, 2016 7:55:25 PM

Subject: Meeting With Mayor

I am writing to request a meeting with yourself, Tony Izzo, and Vince DeLeonardis.  The subjects are related to requests for information that I have requested but not received.

These involve Saratoga National Golf Course and the Zoning Board of Appeals.

Thank you for responding at your earliest convenience.

From:    Trish Bush [trish.bush@saratoga-springs.org]

Sent:     Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:17 AM

To:          john kaufmann21

Subject:               Re: Kaufmann – discuss 5/2/16 email

I do not believe so.

Trish Bush, Executive Assistant

City Attorney’s Office

City of Saratoga Springs

(518) 587-3550 x2516

From: “john kaufmann21” <john.kaufmann21@gmail.com>

To: “Trish Bush” <trish.bush@saratoga-springs.org>

Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 10:14:04 AM

Subject: RE: Kaufmann – discuss 5/2/16 email

Will the mayor be there?

——– Original message ——–

From: Trish Bush <trish.bush@saratoga-springs.org>

Date: 05/04/2016 09:00 (GMT-05:00)

To: john kaufmann21 <john.kaufmann21@gmail.com>

Subject: Kaufmann – discuss 5/2/16 email

The following meeting has been modified:

Subject: Kaufmann – discuss 5/2/16 email

Organizer: “Trish Bush” <trish.bush@saratoga-springs.org>

Location: Joe’s office

Time: Monday, May 9, 2016, 3:30:00 PM – 4:30:00 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern

Invitees: tony.izzo@saratoga-springs.org; vincent.deleonardis@saratoga-springs.org;joseph.ogden@saratoga-springs.org; john.kaufmann21@gmail.com